WordPress widgets add content and features to your sidebars and footers. Some widgets come with WordPress, through plugins and with the WashU Web Theme.
Widgets require no code experience or expertise. In fact, you can add, remove and rearrange them by dragging and dropping.To explore the widgets in this theme, go to Appearance > Widgets panel in the bottom left of the dashboard. The most commonly used widgets are:
- Subpages Widget: Dynamically lists all child pages in a menu. If there are no child pages, this widget will not appear on the page. You should add this to every sidebar.
- Text Widget: Used for adding sections of text and links. You will have to use HTML code to style the content in this widget.
- Social Media Widget: Displays links to all of the social media accounts set in the Theme Options.
- Go to Appearance > Widgets.
- Choose a widget and drag it to the sidebar where you wish it to appear.
- Preview the site. You should find that the “default” sidebar elements are now gone and only the new addition is visible.
- Return to the Widgets Panel to continue adding widgets.
- To arrange the widgets within the sidebar or widget area, click and drag it into place.
- To customize the widget features, click the down arrow in the upper right corner to expand the widget’s interface.
- To save the widget’s customization, click Save.
- To remove the widget, click Remove or Delete.